Monday, November 2, 2009

Moberly wins point championship with Cumberland Pro Lures

Brandon Moberly won the 2009 mountain division co angler title and misses an All American birth by ounces.

Here is what Brandon had to say:

"This year has by far been one of my best years of fishing so far. First off, before any tournaments even started, dad won that $100,000 as we all know and that just started the year off great, not only for the family but also for myself in that it enabled me to fish more tournaments this year, and we also bought the new boat which boosted my confidence dramatically in fishing because i didnt have to worry about anything breaking down on me. I could just focus on catching that next fish.

The first BFL at Laurel was a grinder in that I only landed one fish all day but it was a good 3lb fish. I caught that fish on a Lucky Craft Pointer and it kept me close to the top in points.

At Dale Hollow unfortunately we had engine problems so we stayed in around the Star Point area. I knew there were fish in the area so I picked up a 3/8oz BLK/BLUE Pro Caster with a Green Pumkin big salty chunk and caught fish all day including a 4lber. I only had 3 keepers but they weighed 8lbs and put me in 6th that tourney.

At Cumberland it was rainy all day but the fish were spawning, so i picked up a Cumberland Pro 3/8oz White Buzzbait and worked stumps and shallow flats all day and caught 5 that weighed 8.6lbs and put me in 12 for the day.

On Barren I started out early with a 1/2oz Cumberland Pro Barren Craw FB head jig with a Alabama Craw Paca casting to deeper stumps on a long point in the 15-22ft range and caught 3 good keeper LMs. We left there and ran up in the river so i picked up a 1/2 oz BLK/Blue Barbed HD Flippin jig with a flippin blue big salty and caught a keeper slot and another 15 1/2 incher so that gave me my limit for the day and I ended up with 11.15 lbs which put me in 8th.

At the Super Tournament, the first day I started out throwing a 1/2 oz Barren Craw Football Head tipped with a Strike King baby rage craw chunk. Within an hour, I landed my 3 keepers on it and lost another. We were fishing stumps and rocks on a channel break in the 15ft range. I made the cut and the second day I knew I had to at least catch a couple keepers so I picked up ole faithful -- 3/8oz Naked Craw Pro Caster tipped with the Baby Rage Craw and ended up catching 2 keepers for the day which got me 3rd place and also won the points for me which was my ultimate goal.

At Norman the first day I caught 2 really good keepers on a 3/8oz Naked Craw Pro Caster tipped with a green pumpkin chigger craw casting around the outsides of the docks and the stucture on the banks,not the docks like my boater was focusing on. The other 2 keepers were caught on a 4 inch Smoke Purple tube,just throwing it out in the current and letting it bounce along the bottom looking like a dieing baitfish and the fish would grab it,I ended up in 7th going into day 2 with those four fish.

The second day I only caught one keeper,I caught it on an 1/8 CP Pro Shaky Head with a Reaction Innovations 6 1/2inch Flirt Worm in Magic Craw Red color,I came in 14th with that fish and had a 2 day total of 9.10lbs missing the cut by 5 ounces.

I have to say I was very proud of myself this year in that I didnt finish any lower than 20th place all year in the BFLs and won the points by I think 37. Luke Devere and I also had a great year in the USA Bassins. We drew 2 checks through 5 of the regular season tournaments on Barren River and also qualified for the regional. We had 19lbs in one tournament throwing 3/4 and 1oz Long Arm Double Willow Cumberland Pro Spinnerbaits in White and White/Charteuse. We targeted shallower bluff walls with a break on them to catch those fish. The other one we flipped BLK/Blue and Blk/charteuse 1/2oz jigs in less of 5ft of water in the brush and had 15lbs.

Our big win came a week before the BFL Super Tournament when we won the USA Bassin Regional on Rough River which earned us $4,000. Every fish we caught came on BLK/Blue or BLK/Chartuese 3/8oz Pro Casters tipped with Green Pumkin Big saltys. We caught 3 keepers early close to the takoff area,then went to another spot were we thought we could maybe catch a slot or maybe another keeper.

We ended up catching a 3.12, 3.8 and another 15-inch keeper off that one spot which gave us our limit that weighed 11.86lbs. It was the only limit weighed in out of 98 boats, and this was my first time and Lukes 2nd time to ever fish Rough River.

1 comment: